The Monterey Peace and Justice Center is a 501(c)(3) California Public Benefit Corporation.
The Mission of the Monterey Peace and Justice Center is to inspire and mobilize the people of Monterey County to cultivate peace, social justice, nonviolence, democracy, and environmental sustainability in our community and the world through education and advocacy.
Vision statement: We envision a world where:
- the dream of democracy is fulfilled by governments responsive to the will of the people.
- social and economic justice frees all from oppression and the conditions that lead to war
- conflicts are resolved by negotiation and diplomacy
- the commons belonging to all people are reclaimed from private greed
- human rights and dignity are assured
- human differences are appreciated and respected • food, clothing, housing, education, and health care are attainable by everyone.
- Earth’s resources are used to sustain life rather than fuel wars and destruction.
- the nations of the world cooperate to sustain the planet and make a good life for all.
2019 Monterey Peace and Justice Center Board Members:
Catherine Crockett, President
Lynn Hamilton, Secretary
Sidney Ramsden-Scott, Vice-President
Sylvia Shih, Treasurer
Joyce Vandevere, Vice-President
Janet Louise Wilson
The Monterey Peace and Justice Center houses a free lending library of books and films on peace, social justice, nonviolence, and environmental sustainability. Donations of new or gently-used books and films on these subjects are appreciated. Visitors are welcome to settle into a comfortable chair with a cup of tea to watch one of our documentary films right here at the Peace Center. Or bring your laptop and use the free Wi-fi to do research. MPJC also hosts film screenings, speakers, discussion groups, English Second Language classes, workshops, and other programs. MPJC partners with CSUMB Service Learning Institute and Middlebury Institute for International Studies at Monterey to provide service learning opportunities.
Call 899-PEACE (831-899-7322) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how your organization can use the facility.